Hermanas Del Viento Retreat
Welcome to this transformative Retreat!
Together, the Maya healing practices and the Mystic Choir weave a narrative of holistic well-being, cultural immersion, and artistic expression—a testament to the profound connection between mind, body, and spirit.
Super Local Discount $377
5 day of culture immersions with the healers and participate in the Mystic choir + performances/events,
does not* include lodging, includes some lunches
Located in San Marcos de Laguna Guatemala, nestled in the heart of a lush, vibrant landscape, upon a crater lake surrounded by 3 volcanos, and a popping town of many world travelers and Maya natives. This retreat promises to be a journey like no other, where you’ll discover the ancient wisdom of the Maya people, participate in a harmonious convergence of mysticism and music, and have exposure to Guatemala culture.
As the Mystic Choir prepares for the culminating performance at the Hermanas Del Viento Events, the energy cultivated in each rehearsal becomes a powerful force and connectivity between us. The songs we share is not just a repertoire of vocal talent but a joyful ceremonial offering, a gift to the collective spirit of the lake and people, and a reflection of the transformative journey undertaken by each participant.
As we rehearse and harmonize, you’ll not only discover the beauty of your own voice but also experience the collective energy that emerges when individuals unite in a shared artistic expression. The pinnacle of your retreat experience will be the performance at the Hermanas Del Viento Events. One event spotlights the local healers, and we will bless the closing circle with song. The second event will focus spotlighting women in music where the choir will perform and there will also be space for some solo artist acts, if that is something you are excited to offer, let us know.
We will also offer an excursion across the lake to San Juan to visit some of the women’s weaving collectives, and explore the special town of San Juan.
The heart of the retreat connects our voices and songs through the Mystic Choir experiences as well as the the profound connection and introduction to Maya healers, venerable, humble individuals who carry the ancient knowledge and healing traditions of their ancestors. Through intimate ceremonies, and visits, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with these wise women.
Maya healing practices and practitioners could include bone healers, womb healers, cacao and fire ceremonialists, and more.
- Bone Healers: These practitioners are steeped in the ancient art of bone-setting and alignment of tendons. The healer Shaela has worked with in the past has a very natural mystic modality that I hope she can share a little bit about with us, and then can be available for private sessions.
- Womb Healers: Maya culture places a profound emphasis on the sacred nature of the womb, and centering it. Womb healers specialize in balancing and nurturing the feminine energy, offering a range of practices. Shaela knows a handful of amazing practitioners, she’s excited to connect us with some of them so we can experience their work and energy.
- Cacao Ceremonialists: Cacao holds a sacred place in Maya tradition, known for its heart-opening and mood-enhancing properties. Cacao ceremonialists guide participants through rituals involving the consumption of ceremonial-grade cacao. These ceremonies often include meditation, chanting, and a deep connection with the spirit of the cacao plant, fostering a sense of unity and love. Nana Mariam is Shaela’s dear friend whom she loves and honors and will invite her to visit us or we can go see her in San Juan.
- Fire Ceremonialists: Fire is a powerful symbol in Maya cosmology, representing transformation and purification. Fire ceremonialists lead rituals that harness the energy of flames for healing and spiritual growth. Participants may engage in guided meditation, prayer, and symbolic offerings to the fire, facilitating personal and collective transformation.
Two options for length of time:
1 week immersion lodging will be a short walking distance to the temple where most our rehearsals and meals will be. Currently there are lovely shared bungalows, 4 max per bungalow, in a more quiet lovely part of town.
2 week immersion has more time for self explorations and decompression before and after the week of 19th-26th and our events. Lodging is in a Shared Temple, communal style, maximum 9 participants (4 spaces left)
We will focus on singing and sharing in the afternoons, and the mornings will include visits from healers and/or 1-2 excursions. We are doing our best to make just the right amount of programming; so you will receive a lot but also have time for reflection and/or leisure.
Both 1 week and 2 week immersion include:
- Catered food provided in el Templo by our dear herbalist friend Laurie: light breakfast of fruits and teas and coffee, with a heartier Brunch and Linner.
- Choir Programing
- Your entrance to Hermanos del Viento Events
- Presentations from the Healers
- One excursion trip to San Juan
The retreat costs do NOT include:
- Transportation to and from, and around the Lake (minus the one cost of the boat for the one excursion)
- eating food out at restaurants or cafes
- personal sessions with healers (that we recommend to book!)
- Personal shopping or souvenirs
The Hermanas Del Viento Retreat is more than a mere escape; it is a profound exploration of culture, spirituality, and artistic expression. As you immerse yourself in the teachings of the Maya healers and contribute your voice to the Mystic Choir, you’ll leave the retreat not only rejuvenated but also carrying the echoes of a transformative experience that will resonate within you long after the closing song has been sung.
This will be Shaela Noella’s 5 trip to Lago Atitlan. Her first time living there for 3 months was in her early 20’s, a lot has changed on the lake since then, but it remains a magical place in her heart. She is so thrilled to share it with more people. Shaela is the visionary of this retreat and leading the choir with the assistance of Saoirse Watters, whom is assisting her in many beautiful ways. The team Shaela has built to make our stay is dreamy and we look forward to sharing this experience together.